Thursday, March 17, 2011

Who Cares if I have Revit

The smell of the ammonia printers, the joy of updating elevations, sections, floorplans, titleblocks...

Yeah those were the glory days.  A place for hand draftsmen too.  2D world was a place for the old guard of trimming, pasting, copying over, and tools like templates, french curves, mechanical pencils.  Standing by the water cooler in the morning and talking about those new fangled CAD machines.  Wow 2D on a black screen like the twilight zone. 

Mastering dos...

Yeah I was there I have to admit it.  I'm proud of it in fact.  But I was one of those early CAD addicts that actually had 4 megs of RAM in my machine.  I can't even remember what the first program I used was.  Eventually early versions of AutoCAD.  The first blush of parametrics I ran into was with a program called Autocad Designer.  You started with a sketch, assigned global parameters.  It was so slowwww....  Great concept by not yet ready for prime time. 

However things started to pickup steam.  Eventually the guy with the tri-square and sliderule retired to the Moose lodge leaving his legacy of D, E1, and E sized velum's for future archaeologists to discover faded and yellow. 

Standards were set, software was developed, and the 2d world of electronic drafting flourished. 

Who needs Revit?  Bah...  well off to the water cooler.  :)  No.... I better demo the new BIM addon for Revit Architecture 2011 instead.  I'll pick up a latte later. 

No comments:

Post a Comment