Friday, March 12, 2010

To be Formal, or not to be Formal

Friday afternoon the first blush of my vacation.  Nine days counting the weekends.  I of course have a laundry list of things that I plan on attending to this next week.  Route an ethernet cable into the conjugal bedroom.  Relocated the family desktop and computer center there so that there is room for the new formal dining room. 



Now that brings me to my main gripe.  This formal thing that my wife insists that happens to this house.  When I finish washing my hands (yes I do that from time to time) and I reach around to get a towel I do not care if its the emblem encrusted King of all towels I'm a gonna wipe my paws on it.   Or a glass display cabinet in which we show all the nik naks of our past that will collect dust and be forgotten.  Faces of porcelin dolls staring out from the lonely box.  Now its the formal dining room.  A place where we do not sit unless Royalty happens to visit.  Well we can probably use it for storage.  It's close to the front door so the girls books can land there when they get home from school or where we can throw the mail.  Soon it will be like all the other places in the house that we don't use.  Strewn with our day to day litter.  Well maybe I can change it into a card table later on.  Or a work bench. 

Initially I thought that I was going to start a blog in which people can come to me with their problems, questions, rants, etc.  Now who's going to comment on something like impotency or a deep seeded insecurity to someone out of the blue.  Not going to happen.  So I guess I'll throw a question out there for my faithful one subscriber to answer. 

Why do women want formal things in the house? 

By formal I mean things that aren't going to used day after day.  Furthermore, if I was visiting a friend and they started dragging formal stuff out to dine with me I would balk!  I would feel like I wasn't a friend of theirs.  Take it from me if a friend starts dragging out formal dining ware on you they either are trying to set you up with their spinster sister or have found out (before you) that you only have three years to live. 

So.  Given that the question stands.  Why do women want formal things in the house?

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:54 PM

    It is my belief that these things are ideals to be achieved.These items that are only brought out for certain special occasions or the obligatory ones like Thanksgiving or other Familial events take on a certain aura. The everyday stuff is for everyday, it has no apparent luster anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:31 PM

    Dear UPC,
    I come from diffrent stock. Where having friends and family over is a joy not a chore.(i.e. no good china every chair in the house with someone sitting and eating in it) We eat and drink without being formal. I serve the children first and get them out of the way so the grown-ups and just sit chat and relax. However big family gatherings are more a mish mosh of eating talking to loud and just having a good meal. Many people like the idea of having a formal dining table and to them I hope they use it. Me I will stick with just wishing I had one more chair and a bigger pan to cook in.

    ReplyDelete